Rochester Youth Culinary Experience
RYCE will be a self-sufficient enterprise by 2018, enabling funding received now to have a lasting effect. We anticipate serving 20 new students each year. Below is a further explanation of our goals.
Our mission is to bring experienced-based entrepreneurial skills to youth in the city of Rochester, so they may positively impact their communities.
- We will do this by creating a fully functioning, self-sufficient restaurant run by high-school students and a management team.
- Students have been involved in all aspects of the development of the restaurant including: Design, menu, pricing, planning
- Juniors are involved in the program through our partnership with East High school, learning the basics of the restaurant and familiarizing themselves with the business. Once they complete their matrix, they can become paid employees on site.
- Seniors that have completed their matrix are paid employees on site at the restaurant and will also receive work opportunity credits. Throughout the course of the year they work in all positions in the establishment, including management and administrative roles.
- Post graduates have the opportunity to remain employed to mentor the incoming students.
- To become involved, students complete a matrix signed off on by their school. Once complete, they can become a paid employee.
- RYCE was created as an outlet for students to improve workforce readiness and entrepreneurial skills. We believe there is nothing more educational than hands on experience. This program provides the confidence and understanding to incorporate the various needs and requirements of business ownership and employment.
- New students are able to make their mark on RYCE each year, by offering new ideas, procedures, and recipes. This constant influx of ideas allows for the business to remain relevant to needs of the students and increases the experience for the guests.